The Edinburgh & Lothian Trust Fund makes grants to individuals in need but does not accept applications directly from members of the public.
Applications for individual grants must be submitted via a post holder in a local authority, NHS, or voluntary sector agency.
Among the General Fund grants available to individuals, The Edinburgh & Lothian Trust Fund administers the Ponton House Trust on behalf of Lindsays WS Solicitors, for young people in need in the City of Edinburgh, especially for those with a disability.
Applications can now be completed and submitted online. Please complete our online application form.
Conditions for grants to individuals/families in need
- Applications for financial assistance to individuals in need can only be accepted from a post holder in a local authority, NHS or voluntary sector agencies Suitable post holders include social workers, Health Visitors, Midwives, G.Ps, Head Teachers, family support workers. In case of doubt please contact the Trust Administrator Only one application on behalf of an individual will be considered in a twelve-month period. Maximum grant £200per household (effective as at 22nd May 2019)
- Applications may be for any relevant and urgent including:
- baby equipment
- bedding – limited to £100
- household items
- clothing – limited to £50 per child, and to £75 per adult
- small electrical items e.g. kettles , toasters, microwaves up to the value of £100 per item
- white goods (fridges, cookers etc) up to £200
- pre-payment electricity cards up to £100
- The Trust will not normally fund student fees or equipment, repayment of debt of any type, holidays anywhere except in special circumstances, e.g. where a holiday is arranged by a recognised charity. Priority will be given to applications where there is serious illness of the individual or in the family, which should be stated.
- Applications will normally be processed on a continuous basis, with a turnaround of approximately four weeks. The application system will show a confirmation page when the application is successfully submitted. Email acknowledgements are sent to the post holder on application submission additionally
- Payments cannot be made directly to an individual, only to the applicant agency by BACS transfer, so bank account details are required. The application must be digitally signed by a Finance Officer or Line Manager. If the application is successful we will send your award confirmation by email
- If successful, an acknowledgement form is forwarded with the notification of grant, and this should be returned with receipts for the items purchased within four weeks of receiving the grant. Any unpaid or unused portion of grant should be returned to The Edinburgh & Lothian Trust Fund within a two-month period of receipt by the agency, otherwise future applications may not be considered
Download the Edinburgh and Lothian Trust Fund leaflet
Help for Families – Clothing for Babies, Children, Young People and Adults
There are a number of organisations and funds who can help provide clothing for children or support families to purchase school uniforms. Download the flyer to find out more. ELTF Clothing Leaflet.