The Edinburgh & Lothian Trust Fund SCIO on a quarterly basis disburses grants to small voluntary organisations whose aims are similar. The aim of the Fund is the prevention or relief of poverty and/or to assist those in need experiencing illness or disability. The Trust’s funds are restricted to beneficiaries who reside in the City of Edinburgh or the Lothians.
Who can apply?
We welcome applications from voluntary organisations which meet the following criteria:
- Are properly constituted and registered with OSCR as charitable
- The organisation’s aims and objectives are to provide social welfare and support those in need
- Are specifically, for the benefit of people in Edinburgh and the Lothians
- Are solvent, not in debt, and having an annual turnover of under £200,000
- Have reserves of no more than 6 months operating costs
Priority will be given to organisations which aim to combat inequalities, relieve poverty and assist those in need.
What kinds of projects will the Trust consider?
The Trustees will consider funding to assist progress in any local charitable organisation by grant-aid up to £2000 annually to cover specific main administrative and developmental needs.
Examples of what the Trustees might consider to be main administrative or developmental needs include:
- Volunteer expenses
- Recruitment and training of volunteers
- Training of staff
- Essential equipment, including IT
- Printing and publicity
- Telecommunications and postage
Who is not allowed to apply?
The Trust does not normally accept applications from the following organisations:
- Organisations with a turnover more than £200,000
- Organisations with significant liquid reserves (of more than six months operating costs)
- National organisations, (unless their application is for a specific project, meeting a local need in Edinburgh and the Lothians)
- Commercial organisations
- Statutory agencies
- Schools and colleges
- Community groups or committees
The Trust does not provide grants for the following purposes:
- Salaries, fees or similar
- Core property costs, such as new buildings, property repairs, extensions, alterations, property rental, rates, utility costs etc.
- Educational and adventure type projects, holidays or day visits
- Arts, environmental or sports activities, except where a significant social service or therapeutic intent is the main aim
- Travel and transport (except as part of core volunteer expenses)
- Disbursement to other agencies
- General appeals
Any grant purpose which is not specifically excluded will be considered by the Trustees
Information for Applicants
- Only one application per organisation will be considered in a rolling twelve-month period, whether successful or not
- An organisation is not allowed to have more than three successful applications
- Grants should not be to fulfil statutory duties
- Applications for grants are considered at the quarterly Trustee meetings. The dates of the meetings and the deadlines for applications are shown below
- If an application is successful, the funding will be transferred electronically
- If the application is unsuccessful, the Trust Administrator will email the applicant
- The Trustees decision is final
- In order to further the work of the Trust, we ask applicants to acknowledge the Trust’s funding in any media or social media articles. The Trust may also request images of the funded project that could be used for the Trust’s promotional purposes
Further to completing and submitting the online application form please email the following documents to email@example.com:
- Latest Annual Report
- Latest Annual Accounts scrutinised by an independent person as required by the charity finance regulations (or if not available, a copy of the most recent budget or draft accounts, with an explanation)
- Up to date income and expenditure forecast or budget for the current financial year
Note: an application without the supporting documentation will not be considered.
If you have any enquiries or need advice please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant dates and deadline applications for 2022-23 are as follows:
|Trustees meeting||Deadline for applications|
|Tuesday 10 May 2022||Tuesday 19 April 2022|
|Tuesday 9 August 2022||Tuesday 19 July 2022|
|Tuesday 8 November 2022||Tuesday 18 October 2022|
|Tuesday 7 February 2023||Tuesday 17 January 2023|